"There is no point in worrying yet...what would come..would come."-J.K. Rowling


“A WARRIOR FEEDS HER BODY WELL. SHE TRAINS IT, WORKS ON IT. WHERE SHE LACKS KNOWLEDGE, SHE STUDIES. BUT ABOVE ALL, SHE MUST BELIEVE IN HER STRENGTH OF WILL AND PURPOSE AND HEART AND SOUL.”
—David Gemmel







Friday, October 1, 2010

Remember September

September flew by!! Thank the Sweet Lord we are now starting October. I am beyond ready to see a light at the end of this dental hygiene tunnel. I feel like we have made a lot of progress since the first week of clinic but it is still an uphill battle every Monday & Wednesday and I pray for faith and for strength for each of us that we make it through. My mom did some research and found out there was a saint of dentistry, St. Apollina.

"St. Apollonia, who died in the year 249, was martyred for not renouncing her faith during the reign of Emperor Philip. The account of the life of St. Apollonia was written by St. Dionysius to Fabian, Bishop of Antioch. Apollonia had all her teeth knocked out after being hit in the face by a Christian persecutor under the reign of Emperor Philip. After she was threatened with fire unless she renounced her faith, Apollonia jumped into the flames voluntarily. She is considered the patron of dental diseases and is often invoked by those with toothaches. Ancient art depicts her with a golden tooth at the end of her necklace. Also in art, she is seen with pincers holding a tooth. "-Catholic.org
St. Apollonia
My mom found a St. Apollina metal on Ebay, and had my name engraved on the back. My card said take care of her and she will take care of you. Funny how it was sitting on my bed, on a very stressful night. St. Apollina came to me just when I needed her.

On to September Highlights:
The Arkansas State Dental Hygiene Meeting was Sept 17-18th. After local we  went down to Little Rock to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn..We had a student dinner at Rumba and then a girls night out on the town. We loved the piano bar, Earnie Bigs!



Local Anesthesia!
I L-O-V-E giving injections!!! I was so scared at first bc I never, I mean never wanted to be a nurse. Don't get me wrong its a great profession, but I just didn't think I could give a shot, I'm a baby when it comes to shots, I like my mom to hold my hand and have a sparkle band-aid when I'm done. Pro of having a mom work at a clinic I guess. Back to injections!! It is a total rush, I love it! I have had wonderful partners, Brooke, Melanie, Hannah, and Kelly so far. Hannah was an especially good patient for me, We like to get right next to the nerve but not in it, so when you get in it you get a positive aspiration, and a Hot Tamale! I zinged Hanny and got a Hot Tamale! Only 2 more weeks and I'll be able to give my patients anesthesia, of course with eagle eye supervision.

I don't know if you can see but there is blood in the Carp!
We love T shirts! I'm so excited for our LA shirt to come in, Mrs. D said we could wear it on our nitrous day! Here is the design:


Impressions:
I wasn't a dental assistant before hygiene school, so I knew nothing about taking impressions or study models. It's like crafting and I love crafting. I feel like I'm in a pottery class. Dental Materials lab is so relaxed, and fun. Mrs. Dickenson and Mrs. Langwell do a great job!

We are working on Study Models and Bleaching Trays so more pics to come!



A great picture of us with Mrs. Arnold
Case Study:
Paper and Pictures are well soon to be in the works. I'm just fortunate to have my case study patient already. He is a class III. A very nice man who has 40 year old calculus that does not want to come off. I'm working through it and trying to keep my head up!
I'm praying each and every day that I as well as my classmates and can stay strong and meet our requirements. I cannot image doing this program without them. I've met so many wonderful girls who have become my best friends.





No comments:

Post a Comment